Audio file of Divorce Chapter 1 – English Version. Download, or just listen. 

Divorce - How to Start

United States

Chapter 1

You went and got the fill in the blank Divorce forms from your local government.  After reviewing them, you said to yourself, “What The  ?”  You could not get any help, or the help you got was not helpful. 

This chapter reviews the terms and provides an explanation of the terms. It will help you get started and answer some of the questions you have. 

How To Get The Court Fees Waived

Depending on the State and county, the cost to file for divorce can range from $30 to over $300.  Each State and county are different.

In some States, there can be one fee to file for divorce and another fee for the hearing to get the final divorce decree signed by the Judge.

Many States will waive the fees if you meet the requirements.  The requirements to get the fees waived are different in each State, but for most States, you have to be at or close to the poverty level.

Before you file for divorce, fill out an indigent form and submit it to get the fees waived.  Wait the required time, which is about 2-weeks, and check to see if it was approved.  Once it is approved, you will receive a voucher that will pay for the court costs.

Divorce - Our Best Advice

Before you file for divorce, close your current joint accounts, these include credit cards, bank accounts, etc., and establish separate accounts.

In addition, if both your names are on the debt, you may want to consider refinancing these debts to put them only in the name of the person responsible for paying them, such as the car note.  Divide all property (TV, furniture, etc.) and establish separate households. 

If you have kids, go to your State’s child support agency and take care of the child support issues before you file for divorce.  Furthermore, if you have kids, have the visitation, education, healthcare, and whom the kids will live with worked out in advance.

Divorce - Where to Get More Help

Many States have free family law help clinics, and they will help you with your divorce papers even if the divorce papers are ones that you created yourself or are the fill in the blank kind.

All colleges and universities have to provide times where the public can access their libraries if they receive Federal funding.  This includes Community Colleges and Trade Schools, and they all should have Internet access.  This means access to their law library as well.  We do not know of any private or public college or university that does not receive Federal funding. 

Almost all libraries, including your local public library, should have all the software you need to complete all of your divorce papers.  These libraries will not allow you to save your work on their computers, bringing something like a jump drive.

Table of Contents - 3 Pages Total